Sunday, January 15, 2012

Writing in First Grade--- updated with correct documents

Our first grade team has talked ad nauseum about how to hold our writers accountable an how to grade their writing.  We have a scale on our report cards of a 1, 2, 3, or 4.  1 being the student is not performing at grade level and 4 being they have mastered a objective and could even teach it themselves.  So with writing, each teacher grades differently.  We looked at writing objectives for each quarter and decided to make a rubric that was "kid friendly".  I have this outline from a coworker at another school (Thank you Andrea!!).  She made this for her graduate program and it was Kindergarten objectives so my team just adapted it for first.  I keep a copy for each student in my pensieve notebook, so when I conference with each child, we can talk about this rubric together.  Before we determine a final grade we usually like to see a student master an objective three different times.  The rubric has a spot under each description for check marks.  I usually put a date in each little box and maybe an example of what I saw just in case my memory fails me.

First Quarter

Second Quarter

Third Quarter

Fourth Quarter





No comments:

Post a Comment