Sunday, January 15, 2012

MLK Day and 100th Day... update WITH pictures

Now that the littles are in bed, my mind is back on school.  Lots of planning coming up for these holidays/milestones in first grade.  There are lots of them and right now I'm planned up to Valentine's Day, which by the way, we are tracked out for.  So my class will be celebrating early. 

We started reading and discussing Dr. Martin Luther King this past week in school.  When we return on Tuesday we are going to complete an activity I saw on another teacher blog... forgive me because I have not figured out where it came from and I cannot find it again.  We are going to brainstorm some ideas of what we can have a dream for.  I will be guiding them towards need vs wants and hoping they come up with more needs than wants.  :)  Then the writing piece comes in and they have to finish the sentence 'I have a dream...'.  Here are what a couple of them looked like.  They really turned out great!




Our 100th Day of school is going to be on January 24th.  Normally, I do lots of activities based around the 100th Day.  This year I am taking a step back and sticking to just a few things.  In the morning the kiddos will make headbands (because they are SO cute) and then focus on a project they are bringing from home.  The project at home is two parts... the first is a collection of 100 things and the next is part of a first grade service project.  We are going to collect 100 cans of food for our local food bank.  Each student was asked to bring in one, two, or as many cans as they 'CAN'.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of collecting cans for a food drive! I just came across your blog and am your newest follower! I would love for you to come follow me! =)

    I have TONS of *freebies*! =)

    I am excited to explore your blog and see all of your wonderful ideas!

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am now following your page as well. I am just now getting into the blogging, etc about school. I am hoping to make things as I go along but right now I am just sharing what I already have and do in class. What programs do you use for making your activities?

    ReplyDelete