Thursday, April 12, 2012

Boosterthon Fun Run

If you haven't heard of Boosterthon before then don't feel bad.  I had no idea what or who they were until this past week.  It's a company I guess I can say, that puts together fund raisers for schools.  Mainly the fundraiser is called "Fun Run".  Our school's PTA set this up as a HUGE fundraiser for us this year to help fund the making of a track.  I have heard a lot of great things about Boosterthon and I have also heard some negatives as well.  This is their mission:  “The mission of the Boosterthon Fun Run is to Change the World by strengthening schools and impacting the next generation through Fitness, Leadership, and Character.”

They spend roughly two weeks taking over your school.  There is a "team" that comes and they start off with this huge pep rally and get the kids all excited about the fundraiser.  Then the kiddos are sent off to start getting pledges.  These pledges are what raises the money and you can donate any dollar amount or just a flat fee.  The kids get sponsored to run laps.  They will run from 25-35 laps on a small track that is built.  I have heard some schools raised up to $50K from doing this.  Our school has a goal of $20K.

I sure hope it's worth it.  I am mentally tired from these grown cheerleaders being in our classrooms everyday and hearing them on the announcements all the time.  For two weeks, they basically do a mini pep rally IN your classroom on a daily basis.  There are contests to get the most pledges and prizes to be won.  Everyday there is a different goal to meet.  Examples: the first day, they classroom to get the most log ins online won a prize.  Then the next day the class to get the most pledges won a Popsicle party and the teacher wins a Starbucks coffee {which was ME  and several others by the way}, finally today the big prize went to the classroom who had the most pledges from other states.  GUESS who won that one too?!  Yup, MY class.  Want to see what WE won??


It's an inflatable ball that you can get into and roll around in like a hamster.  Yes folk, I have my very own "boulder ball" for my classroom... except we have to give it back at the end of the year... and I have to blow it up one cell at a time... and I am not sure HOW I will be able to get every child to ride in it.  Isn't that some kind of legal issue?! 

It's cool to see the kids so excited about it but there are also down points like... some kids not getting any pledges at all and not winning anything.  It's supposed to build the kids up and teach them character traits but at the same time it's teaching them that they need money to do it?!  That part confuses me. 

Anyways there is this hum about the school because they are visiting classrooms all day long.  My math time is suffering from it.  Again... I hope it is worth it and our school does well with their goal.  I cannot wait for it to be over because these grown cheerleaders that come in all the time, are getting on my nerves.  I should end on that note and say that the TEACHER of the prize winning class tomorrow gets to throw a PIE in the face of said grown cheerleaders.  {my fingers are crossed}. 

No comments:

Post a Comment