Saturday, March 10, 2012

Dr. Seuss

Our first week back to school has come and gone.  The kiddos enjoyed having mystery readers and also enjoyed creating their own Seussical kind of work.  We made a class book, compared stories and characters with venn diagrams and created a new door.  I love decorating my door this year.  This time it's super cute and I just may leave the stuff hanging until it all falls down.  I really like to display the work done by my class.  I think it gives them a sense of ownership and belonging to our class. 

Our class book was based on Dr Seuss' "There's a Wocket in my Pocket".  Ours was called, "There's a Zass in my Class".  

Chart paper for us to record our thoughts.  The kids brainstormed things in our classroom and then had to match a rhyme. 

Front of the book...




Pages from the class book...
Also using "There's a Wocket in My Pocket", the kids created their own pockets with characters in them.  This was a great idea I found on Pinterest.  Door decorating is right up my alley and we needed a project for fun Friday. 




With the new common core standards coming out, our school district is finally going to make the big change this next school year.  One of the new standards from the reading objectives is: RL.1.9. Compare and contrast the adventures and experiences of characters in stories.  We used a venn diagram to compare "Cat in the Hat" and "Cat in the Hat Comes Back". 




No comments:

Post a Comment